(need help) can't remove speedo surround

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
KiwiCatherine
Forum Participant

(need help) can't remove speedo surround

Postby KiwiCatherine » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi folks, I have a 1986 registered (but 1984 according to Honda's parts computer), non-turbo convertible. Imported from Japan into NZ in 1990.

The kmilage is huge, can only guess how many times the 5 digit odo has been around the clock. I'm assuming it's about 250,000 kms or 350,000 kms . The main engine block and 5 speed gearbox are all original as far as I know. I've had the car almost 9 years and had the clutch and timing belt replaced soon after I bought it.

Speedo and odo suddenly crapped out about 8 months ago. Having replaced speedo cables on other cars before I thought it'd be an easy fix. I first had a go and tried wrestling the plastic surround off of the speedo/tacho about Nov 2016 , but alas no success. So I gave up.

Fortunately when in January 2017, I went for the accursed 6-monthly "WOF" (aka Gestapo of fitness) the technician inspecting it did not notice the speedo NOT working as he drove it up and down off the hoist. So it passed inspection then.

My 6-monthly inspection is coming around again, and when they fill in the paperwork and website they'll become suspicious if I have done exactly 000 kms over 6 months ! 500kms is believable ("I only drive it on warm sunny Sunday afternoons, officer"). 000 kms recorded since last inspection is going to bring up red flags.

There is a City workshop manual pdf eslewhere on this forum, which shows removing 4 screws which I have done. NOYE that the picture shows the earlier 1983 model which has a single large speedo dial. My model has the paired smaller dials of a speedo and tacho. Note these are both mechanical gauges driven by rotating cables (NOT a digital display which some turbo models may have had).

I still cannot even remove the plastic surround (depicted on the manual's pdf as removing by pulling rearwards, towards the steering wheel).

Therefore I cannot wiggle the gauges and the plate they mount to rearward enough to unclip the speedo outer cable from the back of the speedo.

NOTE also I notice that whereas other cars' speedo cables usually run between 1 and 2 metres long, the Honda City's is probably less than half a metre as it connects into the top of the gearbox housing, visible looking from above under the bonnet.

Although new cables are NOT available to buy in NZ , from Honda, or Repco, or Supercheap Auto, but those Automotive demi-gods at PARROTT AUTOMOTIVE INSTRUMENTS can make up new cables for anything if you supply the old broken one for them to copy. They said the price usually about NZ $ 45 for just a new inner cable, or $90 if it needs a new outer as well. Not sure if mine would be cheaper if it's shorter than average. I expect to pay for a new outer for mine. Since the earthquake they moved to 124a Wordsworth Street, Christchurch, but they've been in continuous business for over 40 years and they're pretty much legendary amongst motoring enthusiasts hereabouts.

However they only deal with gauges/cables once YOU have extracted them from the car.

If anyone has any clue as to what I'm doing wrong, please post a reply here or message me. I'll try to film a short video showing things tomorrow and upload it and put a link here.

Please hurry, I need the speedo fixed so I can (run up a few kms and then...) take it for inspection again soon (and with enough time remaining on the old "WOF" to get fixed, any new things they reckon are wrong with it. This car is my daily driver.

cheerio from Catherine in Christchurch, New Zealand.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Re: (need help) can't remove speedo surround

Postby James » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:13 pm

I think there are a couple of clips holding it in after you have removed the screws, have you pulled pretty firmly? I'm guessing you have. I would try gently prying at all points around the periphery with a trim removal tool to find where the clips are.

Maybe another option, unplug the gearbox end and try pulling the drive spring/cable thing out the outer, if I recall correctly it should just slide out (unless its broken and its made a giant birdsnest in the tube somewhere). If you can get another from a wreckers or Parrott then you could just slide it back up the outer. They have a 4 sided square drive thing on the instrument end.

The cable from 2nd gen civics is probably usable, maybe fractionally longer but definitely has the same fittings on both ends and may still be available. 3rd gen civic cables may even work, hell I think even some 4th gen civics used cable speedos.

KiwiCatherine
Forum Participant

Re: (need help) can't remove speedo surround

Postby KiwiCatherine » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Thanks, I'll have another look at it in the daylight tomorrow, and if possible, link to an upload of some stills or a short video which will describe things more clearly.

Yeah I expect the inner cable to be snapped in the middle somewhere and I fully expect a bird's-nest internally scoring the inside of the outer cable. Remember it stopped working more than 6 months ago and this car is a daily driver, 20 kms a day. Thanks for the advice. I'll check back in tomorrow.

KiwiCatherine
Forum Participant

sorted it !

Postby KiwiCatherine » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:42 pm

No further replies needed. thanks
Last edited by KiwiCatherine on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KiwiCatherine
Forum Participant

SORTED ! Here is how to remove speedo surround

Postby KiwiCatherine » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:19 pm

I done it ! Note refer to the pdf of the City-Jazz manual as uploaded elsewhere on this forum. Page 317 of 436 going by that pdf. This assumes a Japanese ie English driving side steering wheel on right side of car.

Sit in driver's seat, using a stubby phillips head screwdriver remove the 2 screws at the underside of the top of the black plastic insert thing that retains the clear plastic speedo viewing window. Also remove the 2 screws underneath the bottom of that rectangular plastic , each side of the steering column. For the one closest to the steering column you'll need to have a long skinny screwdriver for. (Use stubby for everything else)

That rectangular-ish surround will now be able to be withdrawn by pulling it towards the rear of the car. It doesn't seem to have clips, it will rattle loose easily, but to completely come out, you will need to use a certain amount of force. Be gentle though as it is only thin plastic.

Now by getting your head down low, you can see to access 3 more phillips head screws, one in the middle and one each side, using your stubby screwdriver.

This will now allow the rearward part of the over-the-gauges shroud to be raised up, sort of rotated forward.

Note that the front of this cover/shroud is normally retained by 2 clips, one each side up close to the windscreen, and one very long tongue in the centre at front by windscreen. The "tongue" tucks completely under and through a hole in the dashboard base. This is why mine cracked there, when I wrestled with it earlier, using substantial force. It would be impossible to "unclip" this (in the manner I had originally tried).

I have temporarily screwed mine back together and on a day when it's not so very cold and rainy, I will make a short video showing how I did it and post a link here.

Return to “General”